Monday, March 30, 2009

The Road to Chicago - Pre-training Day One

Okay - so the official training program for the Chicago Marathon starts on June 1st. So, I figured I would use the next two months to get my butt back out on the road and get used to moving again. Today was day one of the pre-training period. The hysterical thing is that I almost talked myself out of going. I left work, ran Cate to the doctor's, picked up a pizza, and by the time I got home it was 6:00pm. I could hear the gremlin in the back of my head saying - "start tomorrow". But how many tomorrows will there be before there is today?

So, I laced up my shoes, put the dog on the leash (Clover could stand to lose a pound or two) and headed out the door. I wanted to log as many miles as I could before it got too dark and the park trails became too creepy. Happy to say I put in three miles.

I decided to walk the miles today because I haven't had the prerequisite "don't start an exercise program without consulting your doctor" visit to the doctor yet. That happens Wednesday. It's funny they say 40 is the new 20. Maybe in attitude - but the chassis still has 42 years of wear and tear. I plan to work very closely with my chiropractor and my ortho guy to keep this old girl running strong.

Peace.
Tee

No comments: