Monday, November 14, 2011

It's a Marathon - Not a Sprint

This past weekend, I completed the Outer Banks Flying Pirate Half Marathon.  I have not ran or trained with any real commitment for at least three months. My life has been busy and I have let my running fall to the bottom of the priority list.  I hate when that happens because running is so important to my physical and mental health. 

My friend Robin was already registered for the Half and I was more than happy to be her cheering section.  Robin said - "Do it with me."  I thought about it and a little voice inside told me to go for it.  So, I agreed to do the race with her.

Race day in the OBX was gorgeous.  60 degrees with a light breeze.  It was a perfect day for a run.  We started the run and I felt good for the first five miles - and then I began to feel the effects of not training.  But I was enjoying the scenery and catching up with Robin so I pressed on.  Soon we were at mile 9 and the "bridge".  It seems that a lot of races look for the bridge that has a long, low, ass-whooping climb and sell that as the tough spot.  This bridge lived up to the tough spot designation.

We made it to the top of the bridge and then I started feeling the effects of runner's tummy.  I won't go into any descriptions of runner's tummy since most of you can imagine what a case of runner's tummy might look like.  I was convinced that if I took another step, things would not be pretty.  Robin is a personal trainer.  And she is good at her job.  She was trying to support me and help me move past the way I was feeling.  Then I turned into a crazy person and told her to get me some help.  And because she is a good friend and she loves me - off she ran.

I sank to my knees and then sat down on the bridge, ate a gel supplement and tried to settle my tummy.  So many other runners stopped to help me - Runners are the BEST community of people.  I am grateful to them.

 
While I was waiting for Robin, I started talking to myself - which I do a lot.  I told myself - "Get off your ass and finish this race.  Get out of your head.  This is about finishing what you start.  You are not a quitter."  After about five or so minutes, I stood up and started walking off the bridge.  I ran into Robin who was coming back for me and told her that my quitting was not an option.  So off we went.  Once we made it off of the bridge, there was only 2.1 miles to go.  I could not give up.  Robin ran ahead to finish faster.  And I pressed on.


This has been the year of reminding myself of all that is possible; of all that can be accomplished with the right attitude. It started in January with the Penguin Plunge and has manifested in ways both big and small throughout the year.

Step by step - running and walking the last two miles - I finished the Outer Banks Flying Pirate Half Marathon. 

Life and everything about it, really is a marathon and not a sprint - and it's worth every single step.  


Robin and Me celebrating our OBX Flying Pirate Half Marathon Finish

1 comment:

Tee said...

Actually it is not the Flying Pirate Half (that's in April). It was just the Outer Banks Half. Tee