Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Training Update

My training for Chicago this last month can be summarized by one word - Ugh!. I have been battling the most random, small injuries that seem to derail me for a few days of RICE. But then the trick becomes when do I make up the lost mileage? Sheesh. I have had groin pulls, stress fractures, back tweeks, and bad attitude days. I should be hitting the 20 mile mark this weekend and that is not looking likely.

So what is going on? Was it too much to think I could train for 26.2 over five months? At 42 do I need a longer training window? Apparantly my body thinks so. Am I just not mentally tough enough right now to push through? Probably. It's funny - when I started running 20 years ago, pushing through an injury in the name of a race was no big deal. Now, I feel like pushing through will lead to a broken hip or something equally associated with being old.

There are three US and one international marathons I have always wanted to do - Marine Corp, Chicago, Boston, and Dublin. So, I am not happy at the prospect of delaying Chicago for a year, but more and more, it looks like that is the decision I will have to make. (insert big sigh)

I am heading out for a run tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Peace.

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Hang in there, Tee. I'm still impressed with you - I can't even run a mile (not that I really want to). And I sprained my ankle/troe ligaments walking the dog - so there! :)