Friday, November 27, 2009

The Madness Begins

I am not a huge fan of the holiday season - there I said it. I know I am not the only one but sometimes it feels like I am.

From October 1st through New Year's Eve, I feel rushed. Christmas Decorations are out before Halloween and the gift buying frenzy begins on Thanksgiving Eve.

My parents were divorced when I was around two or three years old. It was the late 60s and divorce was not as civilized (if it ever is) as it is now with joint custody agreements and the like. We spent every other weekend and two weeks in the summer with my dad. Holidays, we spent with both families.

Ask any kid who spent their whole lives being shuttled between homes on Christmas and they will probably say things like "I got double the amount of gifts." For me, I was sick every Christmas without fail. It was exhausting to wake up on Christmas morning, open gifts at my mom's house, get dressed, get in the car with my dad, go to my grandparent's house, then my dad's house, then my step-grandparent's house, then back to my mom's house. I was pooped and the amount of gifts didn't make up for that. I did not view Christmas as special - but rather another day to get through.

As an adult, as soon as we had kids, I put my foot down. We do not get in the car on Christmas Day. If people want to see us or the kids, then they have to come to us. I did not want my kids to not have time to sit and enjoy the gifts they received. A lazy Christmas is the best as far as I am concerned.

Time has diminished my feelings that Christmas is a chore. But, I still am not a fan of this whole crazy whirlwind.

So in this season on madness - my wish for you is Peace.

Tee

No comments: