Sunday, November 29, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Recently, I was sitting with my daughter watching The Wizard of Oz - her first time and my 100th (or more). It never gets old to me. The movie was made in 1939 - 70 years ago and it holds up. I love this movie so much.

I can remember getting ready to graduate from high school and I could not wait to get the hell out of my version of Kansas. I went away to college and met my own personal cast of scarecrows, tin men, cowardly lions, witches, wizards, and even a flying monkey or two. Like most young people I was wondering what was over the rainbow.

So I jumped in with both feet. Studying (a little). Partying (a lot). Meeting new and amazing people. Falling in love. Dealing with a broken heart. Pushing my family away. Pulling them back. Falling back in love. Becoming a wife. Moving away to the west coast. Moving back to the east coast. Becoming a mother. Settling into a typical suburban life.

But even as I settled into my life - and it is a good one - I would catch myself wondering what was over the rainbow. Only recently did I realize that I was -in fact - over the rainbow. Today in church the sermon asked the question - "What will you do with this one wild and precious life?" My answer? Grab on with both hands and drink it all in.

This life with all of its "twisters", has all of the colors of the rainbow. The deep red of true love. The warm orange of contentment. The yellow tinge of uncertainty. The green of possibility. The blue of warm and loving family. The indigo of deep and important friendships. The energetic violet of growing children.

If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again I won't go looking any further than my own back yard. ~ Dorothy

I have found my rainbow.

Peace.

No comments: