Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Chapter Closes

Today, we went to the school to "Clap Out" the 5th Grade class.  Clapping Out is a really charming, lovely ceremony where the school community - parents, teachers, staff, and other students - line the halls to applaud the fifth grade class as they leave the building for the last time. Some kids were stoic, some were excited, and many were bawling their eyes out.  I can imagine how they felt - leaving the little pond isn't easy.  My son is uncomfortable with anything overly emotional - he just wanted to get a Slurpee.

Six years ago, my son finished pre-school and I was terrified of him starting kindergarten in "Big School".  Now, he has finished "Big School" and is moving on to an even bigger school.  Middle School scares the hell out of me.  I have this vision of the inmates running the asylum - all hormones and aggression and drama.   And even scarier is the thought of my kid riding the middle school bus.  The whole thing makes me want to go fetal.

Friends who have gone through Middle School assure me that we'll emerge on the other side just fine. We'll see.  My fingers, toes, and eyes are all crossed.  And I wonder if my parenting skills are up for it. 

No comments: