Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gratitude

I have this thing about gratitude. My opinion about people - famous and not - is influenced by the level of gratitude they exhibit in their lives. I can remember watching Pearl Jam accept an award (maybe a Grammy) years ago and being appalled at Eddie Vedder's Speech and his obvious lack of gratitude. It seems that when you achieve the dream you struggle for and benefit from those blessings, then gratitude is required. I haven't bought a Pearl Jam album since and even change the channel when their songs come on the radio.

Gratitude is hard. I try to live each day in gratitude and it's tough. Setbacks are part of progress but it can be hard to remember that. I had the good fortune to meet a man this past week who personifies gratitude. He has lived a life that would have broken most people yet he never gave up. Every setback only served to remind him that he needed to stay focused on the dream. He knew in his gut that life was going to hold more for him and even at the lowest point, he was grateful for the things he did have and for the promise of a new day. He has achieved all of his goals and lives a comfortable life. Yet, he hasn't forgotten the struggle and is gracious to all he meets. When I thanked him for his graciousness, he said (and I am paraphrasing) that when you have been blessed, being gracious and kind is expected.

I was inspired to re-commit myself to being grateful for all in my life - good and bad - since each is a step on the road to my dreams. Peace.

No comments: