Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Red Line

Yesterday the Washington Metro Rail system experienced the deadliest crash in the history of the service - 33 years. It gave all of us who ride the red line pause. I know accidents can happen anytime, anyplace, and in any mode of transportation. You are never 100% safe. I am a huge fan of metro - it gets me where I want to go without the hassles of traffic, I get to read a lot, and I think if it as one small way I can reduce my carbon footprint. When you ride everyday, at the roughly the same time, you start to recognize the folks who share the daily journey with you.

The accident yesterday was beyond terrible. I have heard reports that as many as 9 people died. The small grace is that the two trains involved were headed INTO the city. At 5:00pm most people are headed OUT OF the city. I cannot imagine the devastation of the accident had happened in the other direction.

It seems like everyone I know who lives on my end of the red line was supposed to be on the train that was moving OUT OF the city - myself included. Those of us who leave the office around 4:30 in the afternoon, end up hitting that stretch of track right around the five o'clock hour. I had to pause last night and take in the fact that but for the grace of God.

My heart is broken for those folks who lost their lives. I'm working from home today while they clean up the accident site. I am looking forward to seeing my red line peeps soon.

Even after yesterday, I still believe that metro is the ride for me.

Peace.

No comments: