Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vulnerable

I have been thinking a lot in the past few days about feeling vulnerable. My husband has begun to feel vulnerable in his job - this after 11 years on the contract. He feels like the new folks on the project are watching his every move. He's not sure why since he has never given them any reason. As a matter of fact he is the only person who has been with the project since it started. All of the project memory resides with him. My heart aches for him because I know that feeling vulnerable is not fun.

I have always said that I was surprised at how vulnerable being a mother would make me feel. It is like walking around with your heart on the outside of your body. I adore my kids - they are amazing people and the lights of my life. But, if I am honest, I think that if I had known about the vulnerability I would have second guessed having a family. Thank God, I didn't know or I would have missed out on the daily blessings my kids provide me.

On the other hand vulnerabilty can be looked as an opportunity for growth.

If my husband lost his job it would be a chance for him to pursue new avenues of interest.

If you open yourself up to motherhood (or fatherhood) that allows you to grow in patience, love, generosity, and to see the world again through new eyes.

If you open yourself up to your partner to share your needs or the ways in which you have changed, then there is the opportunity to deepen your relationship.

Most importantly is becomming vulnerable to yourself. Look at yourself in the mirror and see who is there. Have you changed? Are you just walking through life? What is missing? What did you set aside? Is there something or someone that you want? Is it worth the uncomfortable feeling of being vulnerable to get what you want, love who you need to love, or be who you should be?

Peace.

No comments: