Friday, July 1, 2011

SK8er Boy

I had some time between doctor appointments and errands yesterday so I stopped by to see Connor at Skate Camp. 

People who skate get a bad rap.  The public thinks they're a nuisance - what with their long hair, sagging skinny jeans, and such.  The thing is, if you observe a group of skaters together, the have a culture that is supportive and encouraging (with a little trash talk thrown in because that's what teenage boys do).  When there is a "little dude" skating, they look out for him and offer advice.  When someone lands a trick - there is wide appreciation because they all know how much practice it takes to get there.  Connor's camp leader is one of the most gentle souls I have ever spoken to.  And he is so encouraging to the kids. 

Skaters are often run off from sidewalks and parking lots.  Cops are called.  Luckily Silver Spring recognized that there is a need for a place for the kids to skate and they built a skate park.  The park was built after the efforts of some young documentary filmmakers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqdibiYlzD8.

My son is not a team sport kid.  He has chosen boarding as his sport.  The enjoyment and challenge he gets from it makes me happy for him.  Watching him skate yesterday was one of the best things I've done in awhile.

I am proud of my SK8er Boy. 


Peace, Love, and Vans.
Tee

2 comments:

Kristielu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristielu said...

Love our skater boys :-)