Saturday, July 9, 2011

Who Says You Can't Go Home

Last night, I was lucky enough to spend several hours catching up with some "old friends".  All of them I have know since Middle School - with a couple from way back in the second grade.  Words cannot describe how much I loved seeing everyone. We grew up together in a small town.  Our high school class had just shy of 250 kids - and we all knew each other (in contrast to my husband who grew up in a DC suburb and had 700 kids in his class). 

I loved catching up and hearing everyone's stories.  I learned about kids (and grand kids!), career paths, spouses (and some ex-spouses), changes in our home town.  And we all laughed over the endless shared memories - Goat Man's, the King and Queen Seat, McDonald's on 22, the Pines, parties when Rob's parent's were at Sturgis, and the list goes on.  I was reminded that when you are young and feeling indestructible - you make some pretty interesting choices. 

Our graduating class has remained close since we graduated in 1985.  I credit the hard work of a couple of our classmates who were determined to host a reunion every five years.  Because of them, we are quite probably the only Aberdeen High School class in recent memory who has stayed in touch.  We were on an e-mail list serve before Facebook and now most of us have FB accounts. Even though our hometown is no longer small - and is in effect a Baltimore suburb - our reunions and social media accounts have kept us together and help keep connections close.  For that I am grateful.

Last night, there was a mathematician, a nurse, a machinist, a scientist, two teachers, two executive chefs, an Air Force veteran, an insurance representative, and an association director.  But, in these grown ups (gasp!), I saw clearly, the young men and women we used to be. 

I guess you can go home.  

I love you all!!

Peace.
Tee


2 comments:

Jeff Leonard said...

Beautifully said....I love you all dearly.

Jeff Leonard said...

Beautifully said! I love you all dearly!