Wednesday, September 24, 2008

How about a wave?

Today I was driving to Baltimore to visit my parents and became very annoyed at the people who don't acknowledge road kindness with a wave. I let people merge onto the highway and creep over in traffic and no one even gave me the wave. Now, if this was an incident of road rage, people would have tossed me the message in the middle right away.

I am a waver. When people are cool to me on the road, I acknowledge it with a wave. When I do a bone head move while driving, I apologize with a wave. It's the decent thing to do. Maybe I should start a one woman crusade to bring back the wave.

I am not sure why this one small gesture means so much to me but it does. Then again, I really appreciate the small gestures. I love to get handwritten notes. I love an unexpected squeeze or hug from family and friends. There is something civilized about these small acts and I think it speaks to a larger lack of manners issue in the world today. Everyone is lost in their cellphones and satellite radio or distracted by the noise from the back seat. Small acts like the wave are lost.

So if you see me on the road, and I do something to make your commute on the Beltway a little better, toss me a wave. I'll appreciate it and I'll even toss one back. Because that's how I roll. Peace.

2 comments:

Johnna said...

I'm totally with you. Let me know where to sign up to join the bring-back-the-wave crusade.

kristielu said...

Amen, sister. I always wave and get not respect. Pet peave of mine as well. Must run in the family.