Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mom's Gone Wild

Everyone giggles when I tell them that I am leaving this weekend for a trip to Florida for a Mom's Gone Wild Weekend. What is the definition of a MGW weekend you ask? It is no kids, no husbands, no PTA, no hauling kids around from game to game. It is chocolate and margaritas and sitting by the pool and keeping the US economy afloat with a little retail therapy at an outlet mall. It's chatting about everything and nothing. It is realizing that we have more in common than the fact that our kids went to the same pre-school and we all belong to the same pool.

Pre-school? Pool? Sheesh. My life really is suburban. There is a song by Bowling for Soup called 1985 that always speaks to me. In college, I raised a little hell (I knew a little about going wild), smoked and drank too much, and studied way too little. After seven years (yes I said seven), I got out with a C average and my degree.

I went to college to become the next Barbara Walters or Katie Couric. I was going to live in a fabulous apartment, marry a wealthy man, have the perfect kids, and a house on the beach. It is always amazing to me how different my life is from how I imagined it.

No job on the Today show. No fabulous apartment, no house at the beach, no wealthy man (but he is a good man who loves me). I did get close to perfect kids! :) My life is rooted squarely in suburbia and there is nothing wild about it. But, if I am honest with myself, I am exactly where I am supposed to be, doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing.

So, tomorrow, I'll get on a plane with some of my favorite women, head down to Jax, and relish our Mom's Gone Wild weekend. Bring on the Margaritas. Bring on the chocolate. That's my kind of wild. Peace.

No comments: